Have you ever read the ingredients list on your toothpaste tube?
Most toothpaste from popular companies like Crest and Colgate contain a number of harmful ingredients, including:
- Sodium flouride – a cumulative poison that is unfortunately added to our city tap water and was once used as an insecticide and rat poison.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – a detergent and foaming agent that is a known skin irritant and has been linked to mouth ulcers and canker sores.
- Triclosan – a chemical used for its antibacterial properties; however, it is registered by the EPA as a pesticide and is suspected to be carcinogenic.
- Artificial sweeteners – chemical sweeteners like saccharin, sorbitol and aspartame are used to cover up the nasty flavour of all those other chemicals, but they have been linked to a number of chronic illnesses.
- Artificial colours and dyes (FD & C Blue Dyes 1 & 2) – synthesized from petroleum and linked to behaviour/learning problems and may have carcinogenic properties.
- Hydrated silica – used as an abrasive; can harm the enamel and prevent re-mineralization.
- Preservatives – parabens are commonly used to prevent the growth of bacteria in toothpaste, but are known carcinogens and irritating to the skin, eyes and respiratory tract.
- Glycerin – may coat the teeth and prevent re-mineralization.
What does this have to do with interstitial cystitis?
Many alternative practitioners and women who have healed themselves naturally from IC, point to the role of toxins in the disease and believe that those with IC have a large toxic burden.
One way to reduce your exposure to toxins is by switching to more natural, chemical-free home and beauty care products.
The switch doesn’t have to be costly and fortunately there are a lot of DIY recipes online that will save you money and ensure that you are using the cleanest products!
Today I would like to share with you my homemade bacteria busting toothpaste recipe.
It’s only 4 ingredients and SO easy to make!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (melted on the stove over low heat)
- 3 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp xylitol
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
Combine all ingredients together, stir well and store in an airtight glass jar or container.
Why did I choose these ingredients?
- Coconut oil is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal. It can help destroy the bacteria that leads to tooth decay.
- Baking soda is a mild abrasive and can gently clean the surface of teeth, promote whitening and restore the pH balance.
- Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that can help eliminate sticky bacteria in the mouth and actually encourages the growth of protective, non-acidic bacteria. It is usually sourced from the bark of birch trees or corn, so be sure that the one you purchase is not sourced from genetically modified corn.
By making your own toothpaste you can avoid exposure to the many toxins found in conventional toothpaste and decrease your toxic burden.
If you have a great homemade toothpaste recipe I would love to hear about it!
I am always on the lookout for easy, homemade and toxin-free versions of our everyday personal care products.
Happy brushing 🙂