Hello and welcome to Healing Interstitial Cystitis! My name is Kristen. I’m so glad you have arrived here.
I created this website for a few key reasons:
1. You may have been told that you have to suffer with interstitial cystitis for the rest of your life (I was) and this is just simply not true. I want to spread that message.
2. I have had success with healing interstitial cystitis naturally. If I can do it, you can too.
3. Nutrition is currently an under-utilized tool for healing interstitial cystitis. Following the “IC diet” is not enough. As a holistic nutritionist, I believe that food is medicine and has a tremendous power to heal and re-balance the body. To heal from any “chronic” condition, you most likely need to reinvent your relationship with food and learn how to truly nourish yourself. I can help with this.
4. Sharing your IC journey with other women and men going through the same thing is SO important. To feel that you are seen, heard and understood is healing in itself. My hope is that this website becomes a forum where we can share our journeys and experiences as we work towards the shared goal of healing interstitial cystitis.
5. I want to delve into the complexity of interstitial cystitis and explore all of the possible causes and triggers so no stone is left unturned. Healing also requires that we attend not only to the body, but to the mind, spirit and soul as well. This is often overlooked.
What I Can Offer You
I was diagnosed with IC at a younger age than most. I suffered for a very long time with bladder discomfort, painful sex and frequency, especially during the night. I was anxious, depressed and felt like my life was over. Whatever you are going through now, I understand how horrible this disease can be and how it affects every little aspect of your life. I’ve been there. I get it. The first thing I can offer you – empathy and understanding.
I went from peeing 10+ times a night to now waking up only once or twice. My IC is healing. How did this happen? Like many of you, I spent COUNTLESS hours researching IC online and in books. I visited several alternative health practitioners (all of which helped me collect another piece of the puzzle) and went on to study holistic nutrition. I wanted to know exactly how the body arrives at a state of chronic dis-ease and how to use nutrition, supplements, lifestyle, alternative therapies and emotional healing to come back into a state of balance and health. I can offer you guidance based on my experience with healing IC naturally and my nutrition expertise.
Lastly, I am dedicated to helping you heal your bladder. When I am not seeing nutrition clients or helping customers at the naturopathic dispensary, I am working on blog articles for the site, researching what’s going on with IC treatments in the alternative healing realm, deepening my nutrition knowledge and brainstorming up services and programs that can provide you with the tools you need to start healing your IC.
Some fun facts about me
I planted my first backyard garden this year! The bounty included radishes, lots and lots of lettuce (I swear I had to eat 3 salads a day just to keep up with it), tarragon, parsley, arugula, kale, leeks, tomatoes and broccoli.
I love yoga and tend to get irritable if I skip a week. I am possibly one of the least flexible people on the Earth, but yoga practice isn’t really about that. It’s about moving with the breath and accepting yourself in each moment.
My favourite herb is Skullcap. I make it into a tea and drink it before bed. It helps to relax the nervous system and as a bonus it gives me more vivid dreams! I love interpreting the symbols and messages in dreams and have a journal dedicated to recording my dreams.
I am known to eat an avocado a day. Avocado is so delicious and I can’t seem to eat a salad without it now – it’s just not the same. And for those of you that fear it’s too much fat, it is actually a great source of healthy monounsaturated fat and has a lot of fiber :).
Fall is by far my favourite season. There’s nothing better than a walk on a fall day – bright blue skies, vibrant red, orange and yellow leaves dancing slowly to the ground and a crisp breeze. If only it lasted longer! *sigh*